Incoming DA Secretary, former three-term governor and vice governor of North Cotabato, Emmanuel “Manny” Piñol bares his initial plans for Philippines’ agriculture industry, namely:
- Fast and effective agricultural technology-transfer to farmers
- Easy access to financing
- Efficient marketing for farmer’s produce
In order to achieve these, the following will be implemented:
- A nationwide School-on-the-Air (SOA) program will be implemented wherein latest and best agricultural practices and technologies will be shared by DA technical staffs and even the secretary himself through said radio program.
- DA to push for micro-lending program to benefit by most small farmers. An allocation of P1B per region for agriculture programs will also be implemented as per directive of President-elect Duterte.
- Establishment of well-functional regional food terminals.
After being appointed as the DA Secretary, incoming President Rodrigo Duterte’s marching command to Piñol was to “ensure available, affordable food for Filipinos and no corruption in the Department of Agriculture (DA).”
Recently, Piñol started doing his rounds in the far-flung areas of the country to visit the Filipino farmers and fishermen in order for him to present the situations of the farmers on June 30, 2016 – the day when President-elect Duterte will take his oath as the president of the Philippines.
Through his journey he called “Byaheng Bukid” he hopes to reach all the remote areas of the country never before reached by other government officials.
Piñol holds a master in rural economic development and claims to be the first practicing farmer to head DA. He was also the brain behind Duterte’s campaign program for farmers which can be read on a book he authored entitled “Feeding Millions: Duterte’s food security blueprint.”
Like this article? Don't miss the next one. Sign-up for Farmers Notebook Newsletter!
More from Farmers Notebook
Latest posts by Farmers Notebook (see all)
- DAP to conduct Asian food and agribusiness conference - September 12, 2017
- President Aquino inked Law on Farm Tourism - May 25, 2016
- Piñol’s 3 Point Agenda for PH Agriculture - May 23, 2016
- Cultivate Profit at the 4th Farm Tourism Conference - April 26, 2016